You have probably heard of the many food cleanses to detox your body, ridding it of toxin build-up and restarting your metabolism. But did you know that there are also food cleanses for your soul? Ever heard of a taco cleanse? It’s actually a real thing, with a cookbook, Jennifer Aniston, and everything. Instead of choosing to detox your body by removing everything but a pulpy green juice, this cleanse helps nourish your body, mood, and mind by removing every periphery food group and replacing it with deliciously satisfying tacos. If you don’t believe Jennifer Aniston, believe science.
Look at the nutrition. First off, tacos are high in protein, which satisfies your hunger, rebuilds your muscles, and strengthens your immune system. They also contain a healthy amount of good fats, fiber, and complex carbohydrates. These will fill you up and grant you the energy needed to start or finish your day with vigor. They are perfect for a pre- or post-workout meal.
So maybe don’t eat tacos every meal for 30 days. Jennifer Aniston does not know everything. But definitely plan them into the menu on National Taco Day!
Below is a zesty taco salad recipe that will satisfy all of your taco dreams and minimize your carbohydrate intake for the day. For a quicker prep time, make the taco seasoning and salad dressing in advance. You can use the seasoning in the future — just place it in an airtight container and keep with your spices. Same goes for the dressing — just store it in the fridge.
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- ½ Tbsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp. oregano
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 pound lean ground turkey or beef
- 3 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
- 3 cups baby spinach, chopped
- 1 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1 avocado, diced
- ¼ cup red onion, diced
- 1 jalapeño, diced
- ¼ cup bell peppers, diced
- Goat cheese, to taste
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 1 tsp. raw honey
- 3 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp. cilantro, chopped finely
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
1. Cook beef over medium heat until brown. Drain excess fat.
2. Mix together the taco seasoning ingredients while the beef cooks. Then add the seasoning and ½ cup water to the meat. Turn to simmer and cook for another 5 minutes.
3. Chop lettuce and spinach and place into a large salad bowl. Add the meat, black beans, tomatoes, avocado, red onion, jalapeño, bell peppers, and goat cheese.
4. To make the salad dressing, whisk all the ingredients together in a bowl until well-mixed.
5. Plate your salad and spoon salad dressing on top.