While we are much more conscious about washing our hands these days, it always helps to have a stash of hand sanitizer in your purse or car for emergency situations. Lately, finding hand sanitizer can prove difficult — especially when you want one that smells good and does not dehydrate your hands after every use. According to the CDC, you want a hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol content for maximum efficacy. After that, you can add your own personalized scent and some aloe vera to moisturize and counterbalance the drying out effects of the alcohol.
Below is a simple recipe for homemade hand sanitizer so that you can have clean hands and enjoy a fresh scent on the go.
¾ cup isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol)
¼ cup aloe vera gel
2 drops Tea Tree Essential Oil
2 drops Lavender Essential Oil
2 drops Lemon Essential Oil
1. In a small bowl, mix the alcohol and aloe vera gel together.
2. Add in the essential oils. You can mix and match your favorites or choose to use the above oils. I like mixing these three as they give off a clean, calming scent.
3. Pour the sanitizer into a travel-sized bottle.
4. Remember to shake well before each use and rub onto your hands thoroughly.
5. To make sure your hands stay extra moisturized, proceed with a hand moisturizer.