It’s National Ice Cream Day! We must celebrate! But instead of indulging in the delicacy of dairy and sugar, how about an alternative? Or two, or three...
Below are four dairy-free, gluten-free, and vegan ice cream recipes that you can make at home in a high-powered blender or food processor — no ice cream maker needed! None of the recipes contain high amounts of sugar or any mystery ingredients or preservatives. This means that they will be better for you, but will not last as long. So do plan on eating your delicious ice cream of choice within the week. That shouldn’t be a problem though, right?
Cookies & Cream Frozen Yogurt
*I love this recipe and use this brand daily. They make it possible to indulge in “dairy” without the pains after enjoying it.
- 3 cups Green Valley Creamery Lactose-Free Plain Whole Milk Greek Yogurt
- 12 oz. Green Valley Creamery Lactose-Free Sour Cream
- 6-9 Tbsp. agave nectar
- 3 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 30 gluten- and casein-free chocolate sandwich cookies
- Place the Greek yogurt, sour cream, agave nectar, and vanilla extract into a blender or food processor. Process until creamy — this should take about 2-3 minutes.
- Add about half of the chocolate sandwich cookies and blend until it reaches your preferred consistency. Some like cookie chunks in their ice cream and some like it smooth.
- Pour the ice cream into a freezer safe container and use a rubber spatula to scrape all the remaining morsels in.
- Cut the rest of the chocolate sandwich cookies into fourths and fold into the ice cream.
- Cover the container and allow it to freeze for an hour.
- Remove from the freezer and mix the frozen and still-soft spots of the ice cream together.
- Re-cover and freeze for another 3 hours. Pull it out once an hour and repeat Step 6.
- Serve your ice cream in chilled bowls and enjoy!
Chocolate Almond Butter Banana Ice Cream
- 4 frozen bananas, peeled
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 2 Tbsp. almond butter
- Chocolate chips (try these dairy-free chocolate chips)
- Add the bananas, cocoa powder, and almond butter into a blender.
- Blend for about 2-3 minutes on high until smooth. Pause occasionally to push the ingredients down to better mix them together.
- Sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- If you have the time, pour the ice cream into an airtight container and let it freeze for 1-2 hours so that it will be hard enough to scoop. If you are eating it right away, the ice cream will be a little thin — but just as delicious!
Vanilla Ice Cream
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk or cream
- ¼ cup raw honey (maple syrup for vegan alternative)
- ¼ cup cashew butter or almond butter
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- Place all ingredients into a blender.
- Blend on high for 30 seconds, or until the ingredients have become smooth and creamy.
- Pour the ice cream into an airtight container and allow it to freeze for 1-2 hours, or until frozen.
Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- 2 cups unsweetened Almond Breeze Almond Milk
- ½ cup coconut butter or cashew butter
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ tsp. + ⅛ tsp. salt
- 1 ½ tsp. pure vanilla extract
- ⅛ tsp. pure peppermint extract
- Add all the ingredients into a large bowl and whisk them together.
- Pour the whisked ingredients into either an airtight container or ice cube trays and allow to freeze for 1-2 hours.
- Place the frozen ice cream into a blender and blend until smooth.
- You can return the ice cream to the freezer for a firmer ice cream and wait another 1-2 hours or eat it straight out of the blender. Your choice!